Sunday, May 11, 2014

1 down, 2 to go!

I can't believe it's already been a week! There have been so many breathtaking, challenging, and emotional moments. First, a few things I forgot to mention in the last posts. A few obvious changes that we're all trying to adjust to. 

1. The altitude: so we're way up in the Andes mountains, if I haven't mentioned that a couple times already. They warned us that we would or ably need some time to adjust, so I was worried about that. It hasn't been terrible, but I've definitely felt it! Just walking around I feel fine. But as soon as we exert any energy, PHEW. The thinness of the air is so obvious. For instance, to get from the school back to our homestay we have to take this HUGE flight of stairs.




I would probably get winded anyway, but with the altitude, we usually have to stop 1-2 times to catch our breath. And when we go even higher into Cahuazhun Grande, I get winded playing with the kids. It probably doesn't help that they all want me to spin them in circles. Dizzy AND winded!

2. The bathroom sitch: so here in Ecuador, the pipes are all really small. This means flushing toilet paper = plumber bill. So instead you use the toilet paper and throw it away. All of the bathrooms have little trash cans next to the toilets so we can do this, even in ourhomestays. In really touristy areas they'll have signs reminding you not to flush it. Also, toilet paper is not guaranteed in the bathrooms, so we always carry some with us. Most bathrooms have the dispensers outside the stalls so you grab it on your way in. Lastly, sometimes it costs to use the bathroom - literally.  People sit outside of restrooms and charge you 10-20 cents to use them. One time it came with toilet paper, so that was nice. It's definitely an adjustment, but not nearly as bad as I was imagining. The restrooms don't smell any worse, and I think some of the toilet paper is even scented. 

3. The Money: luckily they use American currency so that's convenient. The coins are different, but they accept our coins and give us back Ecuadorean coins. Almost everything is also much cheaper here. We go to bakeries a lot and can get 2 pastries for 50 cents. Bottles of water are only 40 cents. I think the most expensive things we've purchased have been drinks. The markets are usually easy to barter, but I also feel bad bartering. I want to pay for the hard work put into handmade items at least. 

As for some other cool things that have happened: 

The second day at the school (Miguel Ignacio Cordero) went well. We played games with our 2-4 year olds. They taught us body parts in Spanish and Quechua, and we taught them "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes." Our teacher wanted to better her English so she had us write the song lyrics and a diagram (read: stick figure) of the body. At "recess" I talked to a boy named Cristián. He had a bunch of questions. He asked about American food, music, money, geography, everything. He wanted to know about the twin towers, when we were going to rebuild them, and why they were knocked down. It was such a good conversation. I was pleasantly surprised by my Spanish skills and his curiosity. He's come to multiple people from our group with just as inquisitive conversation. I love working with the chiquititos, but it was a good change of pace to have a real convo. Also, I love learning Quechua. It's nice to have an actual exchange and not just impress all my American views on everyone. I now know how to say head, hands, feet, legs, and neck. And my host mom taught us how to say cold and cat. All the necessary words for communication! 


This was the view from where Cristián and I talked. No filter, just fresh air and sunshine. 


And clouds. Always clouds in the mountains. 

When we got back to the house, we had a lot of free time so we went to the local market to buy gifts and souvenirs. I bought a blanket and socks made of alpaca, some headbands, and a Panama hat for my dad. No photos cus I don't wanna ruin the surprises of gifts!

When we came back I got to play with María Alejandra! She loved trying on everything. And drinking my water. And saying her colors in English. 




We decided to go out with our housemate Jen, our classmates, and our Ecuadorean partner Gabbi. We went to a salsa club and tried to learn salsa from Gabbi. Emphasis on tried. It was fun! 





On Saturday we had the most relaxing spa day. There's a place not far from Cuenca called Baños where you can enjoy all the amenities and a massage for $50. The amenities include a sauna, a clay mud bath, an exfoliating mud bath, volcanic showers, underground thermal pools, a steambox, and Japanese thermal pools. The whole day was absolutely perfect. It was 80° which is the warmest we've had and great for being in water all day. 

Siblings! 


Clay Baths! 

Justin and Haley! 

Lunch with Marisa!

Honeymoon Photo! 

The steamboxes! These were by far our least favorite part. They are literally lawn chairs inside of boxes that blow steam at your paralyzed body and floating head. It dripped condensation on me, it got so hot that the knob was too hot to touch and my butt burned, and even though it was only 15 minutes, we broke ourselves out of them. Don't let the smiles fool you. They are torture chambers. 

After the spas we decided to go to a karaoke bar. It was funny because there's no stage, they just bring you the mic at your table when you request a song. It was fun! 

Today we traveled to Saraguro which is a 3-hour drive. It's 95% indigenous population and gorgeously wonderful. We got to see a market and have a traditional lunch. The food was fabulous and filling. Walking through the market was awkward. There were 20 of us amongst a crowded community. We were definitely not a part of the community and they made that known by their incessant stares. I am in no way blaming them, and they weren't rude or aggressive by any means, but I felt like I was invading their space and didnt like feeling that we were looking at them like zoo animals or something. So I took minimal photos so as not to be offensive. Here's one before we went to the middle of town. So beautiful:


When we left, our bus broke down. We were not excited to extend our already long trip. But our classmate Elaine kept an open mind and suggested we think of it as an adventure. So we did! 

Elaine and I climbed a rock pile to get a better view! 

We finally got home and ate dinner. I was sad I didn't get to talk to my mommy all day, but I hope she had a wonderful Mother's Day. It's nice to be around a mommy who cares for me here in Ecuador, but no one's love compares to my own mommy. I'm so grateful for her support, love, effort, and engagement in my life, and I'm convinced I have the best mommy of them all. Happy Mommy's Day Robin Angela! 


I can't believe our first week is over, but I had one hell of a time!  I've been learning and growing already and there's so much more in store. Plus I'm ready to get back to the kids! As soon as we drive away on Friday I was sad we'd have to wait 3 days. Hasta mañana chiquititos!

Besitos 😘 





No comments:

Post a Comment